Saturday, February 16, 2008

Why do we hurt the ones we love.....

Something I will never understand is how we tend to bring home our ugliest behaviors to the people that mean the most to us. How is it we give our "best behavior" to our work, or our school, or some other place we function, yet once we are home in our "safe place" we do the unthinkable, and wound those nearest and dearest to our hearts. I can't count the number of times I wish I could take back a word spoken without thinking, or a thoughtless action. But thankfully, not only are the ones we love always "there" for us, they always are willing to forgive, when we mess up. I'm so glad for my sweet man, and for his patience with me. I am also glad that the one thing I learned in our premarital counseling, was to never be afraid to ask for forgiveness....and to do so with our children as well.



It is always worth the moment of confession, no matter how difficult, to eventually return to a place of safety with whoever I have harmed. I hope that as I continue to grow in my faith, and mature as a believer, that I will not let my pride and my "rights" get in the way. The popular worship song can apply here in a family, "Better is one day in our home, better is one day in our house, than thousands elsewhere...." I hope that that will always be true for our family. That despite moments when we wound one another, that our home can once again be a safe place, even a safe harbor, after a stormy season. With Jesus as my guide, and His word, I know that even when pain occurs, He helps us through the storm, to the peacefulness of sweet reconciliation. Amen.



No comments: