Friday, February 1, 2008

It seems as though more and more people in my circle of influence are dealing with a mental health issue, either their own or of someone near and dear to their hearts. So just I think no one understands, lo and behold, I encounter someone else who intimately understands the struggle of depression or anxiety, or addictions.

We live in a fallen world, with other fallen people. And though we so often pray for God to remove the "thorn" in our flesh, or the flesh of someone we love, it is becoming clearer and clearer to me that God chooses to allow this thorn, for His purpose. I don't claim to understand, but somehow I am coming to believe that each part of our lives truly have God's finger prints all over them....and each thing somehow is for the purpose of drawing us closer into relationship with Him. At least I hope so. I refuse to believe that my God would "toy" with us humans for the sake of seeing us suffer. Instead, I think that He allows suffering so that we will really understand that we desperately need to rely on HIM to bring us through the particular "storm" in which we find ourselves. No, God does not sit on His throne watching for who he can pick on. Instead I believe He is waiting for us to cry out to Him in total repentance and total submission to HIS will...no holds barred. The "thorn" may still be within us, but more importantly, God Himself, through His son Jesus Christ is within us, before us, behind us and beside us. No "thorn" can truly compete with God....and once we truly believe this and live in this truth, God's purposes in our lives will be fulfilled. Although we may still "suffer," we do not suffer alone, but beside the one who heals every sorrow and wipes every tear.

May you be well, and seek Jesus, and draw close to Him, as you learn to live with this "thorn."

No comments: