Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My main ministry...

Sometimes I am amazed that I have a family...that there are three children I can call my own, and a husband to boot, with whom I share my life. I don't think I really deserve any of this, and I know I have it all only by God's grace and providence. That being said, as I consider various ministry opportunities, I have to take into account not only what I desire and feel called to do, but how it will impact my family. There was a time I thought that once my children are older, I would have time to serve, and do the things I love...all for God, of course. But now, I wonder, maybe it is even harder to do various "ministry opportunities," because my children and husband don't need me less, like I thought. But rather, I believe they need me more. Or at least I think that they do.

Hence my struggle whenever I am asked to do anything. I search, I question, I look at our schedule....and sometimes I still can't figure out what I am supposed to do. A good friend of my recently said something to the effect, there are many "good things" that we can do to serve God, but we can't do them all!! That is definitely my situation at times. So, here I am again, wondering what to do and how it will impact those I love.

As I pray and consider and plan and search, I am reminded of something my dear husband said not long ago. He basically came to the conclusion that his primary minstry is to his children and family. Wow, what a concept in our over worked and over involved world. So there....my first priority is to my family. I need to ensure that I am ministering to their needs, and helping them to grow in their love of and knowledge of the Lord. If that is being fulfilled, then I can give some attention to the other areas God would desire for me to serve!!!

2 comments:

JenLo said...

I read this the day you posted it, and it has stayed with with me ever since. Very thought provoking.

Donna said...

You are absolutely right. Sometimes I feel like I am held back by all of my responsibilities at home, or that I am not doing my duty because I am not one of those moms who can tend to the flock at home and at church. I have all I can handle to care for my growing children. God understands, but does everyone else? Although I would like to volunteer to make meals, teach a class, organize this and that, and I know I am capable were it not for my family, they must come first. I am not so talented that I can do it all, and there is someone who can fill my shoes and then some. God gifted me with the ability to focus on one thing and do it very, very well, but to multi task for me means stress overload. So for now, my children come first, because if I cannot spend the time to raise them to know and love Christ, what am I here for? I will have failed at my most important job...caring for the lives that have been entrusted to me by God, who believes that I have what it takes to give them everything they need in this life.

After much thought over the years, trying to figure out my purpose and strengths, I have figured that God made me a person with many diverse talents and abilities so that I can be just what I am...a mom who will do anything to take care of her children the way He would want me to.